Job Listing: Curatorial Assistant
Virginia Museum of History and Culture, Richmond, VA
Title: Curatorial Assistant (Temporary)
Division: Collections & Exhibitions
Reports to: Senior Director of Curatorial Affairs
Position Status: Full-time/Non-Exempt (NTE 20 months)
Position summary: The Curatorial Assistant will support the VMHC curatorial team to organize, research, and develop several exhibitions as part of a major museum renovation project scheduled for completion in spring 2022. Primary responsibilities include identifying historical objects and images to support exhibition themes; conducting research related to specific exhibition themes, stories, and artifacts; organizing and maintaining exhibition checklists; and writing, proof-reading, and fact-checking exhibition text. Due to museum renovations, the Curatorial Assistant will primarily work remotely until Spring 2021. Occasional travel will be required.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Conduct historical research on events, people, and objects included in exhibitions using resources at the VMHC as well as at other archives and libraries
- Assist curators in identifying appropriate objects from the VMHC collections as well as objects in other museum collections
- Conduct fact-checking, proof-reading, and the writing of exhibition text as needed
- Compile and disseminate comments from the exhibition team about exhibition concepts, text, and graphic design with appropriate stakeholders
- Provide exhibition-related materials to museum staff for use in fundraising, marketing, public relations, and programming
- Coordinate with Collections Management Department staff to make objects available to curators and exhibition designers for conservation assessment, measuring, mounting, and display
- Occasional travel may be required for research purposes and hand delivery of artifacts from lending institutions across the Commonwealth
- Assist VMHC exhibitions staff with the installation of exhibitions
- Perform other duties as assigned
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities Necessary:
- Knowledge of United States and Virginia history and material culture
- Exceptional communication skills (oral and written)
- The ability to manage and prioritize multiple projects with attention to detail, adaptability, and a positive attitude
- Proven ability to work diplomatically in a team environment
Education & Experience Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field such as history, art history, public history, museum studies, or equivalent work experience required.
- One to three years of work experience coordinating projects in a curatorial, museum or similar setting
- Experience conducting archival research with primary sources (including manuscripts, genealogical records, etc.)
- Demonstrated experience organizing complex information for use by various stakeholders and successfully meeting deadlines
- Demonstrated experience in the handling of museum artifacts preferred
Note & Special Requirements:
Starting pay: $16/hour
Should the applicant advance in the hiring process, the names and contact information of two references will be requested.
If interested in this job opportunity, please apply and upload your cover letter and resume to https://virginiahistory.isolvedhire.com/jobsearch/?job_board_classification=Job_Opportunities.
The Virginia Museum of History & Culture is owned and operated by the Virginia Historical Society — a private, non-profit organization established in 1831. The historical society is the oldest cultural organization in Virginia, and one of the oldest and most distinguished history organizations in the nation. For use in its state history museum and its renowned research library, the historical society cares for a collection of nearly nine million items representing the ever-evolving story of Virginia.
The Virginia Historical Society is an Equal Opportunity Employer.