Job Listing: Conservation Assistant
Historic Congressional Cemetery - Washington, DC
Closes - Open until filled.
Position Title – Conservation Assistant
Salary - $25.00/Hourly
Job Type - Part-Time
For more info and to apply - Please email President Jackie Spainhour at email@example.com to submit an application package including a resume, cover letter, and three professional references.
Reporting to the Director of Conservation, the Conservation Assistant supports all facets of the conservation and grounds work throughout the Historic Congressional Cemetery campus, delivering professional results alongside our dedicated team. This position is a non-exempt role which requires a 25-hour work week, typically scheduled between the hours of 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. during the weekdays, with occasional weekend hours. Telework options are not available for this position.
- Assist the Director of Conservation with the conservation of individual headstones, mausoleums, vaults, and crypts as needed.
- Utilize knowledge and skills in the maintenance, restoration, repair, and preservation of historic masonry, with a particular emphasis on headstone preservation.
- Assist in planning and organizing public events and volunteer groups related to conservation and grounds maintenance.
- Conduct Monument Condition Assessment Reports.
- Perform light maintenance and grounds tasks, as appropriate.
- Assist with media relations efforts, including writing assignments for newsletter.
- Attend staff meetings and training as determined by senior leadership.
- Assist with special events as needed.
- Background in Historic Preservation, Architectural Conservation, or Landscape Architecture.
- Interest in masonry conservation and/or landscaping.
- Must be able to lift 50 pounds.
- Must be able to operate power tools.
- Strong computer skills in Word, Access, Excel, Outlook.
- Ability to communicate effectively.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Good written and oral communication skills.
- Attention to detail and accuracy essential.
- Able to work independently and with others.
- Must be able to work outside in a variety of conditions.
- Must have a positive attitude.
Qualified applicants will be available for flexible scheduling Monday through Friday, with occasional weekend work. This is a paid part-time position at $25 per hour with a maximum of 25 hours per week. Please email President Jackie Spainhour at firstname.lastname@example.org to submit an application package including a resume, cover letter, and three professional references.