Job Listing: Communication Specialist PT
Fort Monroe Authority is looking for a part-time Communication Specialist, in Hampton, VA
Are you looking for a challenging and meaningful career, with the added bonus of panoramic waterfront views, historic homes and beautiful beaches?
If so, Fort Monroe Authority (FMA) is dedicated to helping people reach their career goals and at the same time a great place to work, learn and play! In its’ long history, Ft. Monroe has witnessed some of our nation’s most significant events.
We are currently looking to fill a part-time Communications Specialist position in our Communications Department at our Fort Monroe, Virginia site.
Under general supervision, the Communications Specialist assists in the implementation of all aspects of media relations for the purpose of increasing editorial exposure and public awareness of Fort Monroe. The Communications Specialist receives supervision from the Fort Monroe Authority’s Director of Communication.
• Assists in the updating of media presentation material, writer and publication databases, distribution of articles and press releases to travel media, writing and editing annual Hampton Visitor Guide, editing and updating directory listings, and all editorial copy in promotional collateral material, and websites including visithampton.com, Virginia.org and visitcoastalvirginia.com
• Coordinates Fort Monroe Calendar of Events to be distributed to local and national electronic and written publications
• Provides administrative support to the Director of Communications. Conducts research as necessary to complete tasks. Researches Fort Monroe history and remains abreast of current affairs
• Performs other duties as required; to include some evening and weekend work as necessary supporting business operations
• The ability to solve problems and work independently under pressure to meet tight deadlines while maintaining positive working relationships with staff, clients and other Fort Monroe entities
• Requires an aptitude for details and the ability to follow-up
• Requires strong written and verbal communication skills
• Must be able to use Microsoft Office Suite; Experience in the use of Microsoft Access preferred
Education and Experience
• Two years of undergraduate study in English, Communications, Journalism, Marketing or Public Relations required
• Bachelor’s degree in a related field preferred; an acceptable combination of education and experience may be considered
Minimum of one year experience in writing articles, press releases, public information announcements or similar public compositions or experience in public relations marketing, advertising or journalism
Salary range = $20.50 - $23.00 hour
Fort Monroe Authority is an equal opportunity employer (minority/Female/Disabled/Veteran)