Job Listing: Chief Financial Officer
Lewis Ginter Botanical Garden - Richmond, VA
Closes - Open until filled.
Position Title – Chief Financial Officer
Salary - Commensurate with experience.
Job Type - Full-Time
To learn more and apply, click here.
As a leader in the Administration Department, the Chief Financial Officer (CFO) works collaboratively with the Board of Directors, Leadership Team, staff and volunteers to ensure the fiscal responsibility of the Garden. The CFO is responsible for the organizational annual budget, strategic financial planning, efficient financial operations and collaborative budgeting across departments. The CFO will work closely with executive leadership for planning and implementation capital and expansion projects as well as special exhibits.
- Annual organizational budget
- Works collaboratively with garden leadership to develop, propose and submit annual budget to Board of Directors for approval.
- Meets quarterly with all department leaders/managers to assess budget strategy and review variance analysis reports of monthly actual to budget results.
- Leads access strategy of departmental leadership to real-time financial statements including forecasting against budget and monthly actuals.
- Establishes and maintains strong relationships with senior leadership team to identify their needs and seek full range of potential revenue generating business solutions.
- Provides leadership in the continuous evaluation of short and long-term strategic financial objectives and offers recommendations to enhance financial performance and business opportunities.
- Works closely and collaborates with accounting team in cross examination of financial reports, compliance and annual audit.
- Reviews and negotiates contract services with relevant departments for cost savings, asset management, account analysis and reconciliation.
- Provides analysis and reporting statistic support of revenue centers: admissions, membership, rentals, food service and merchandise sales.
- Endowment and investments
- Serves as the staff liaison to the Finance Committee of the Board of Directors.
- Maintains consistent and close professional relationships with financial advisors to ensure strategic growth of organizational endowments.
- Provides financial counsel and expertise regarding capital markets, investment and commercial banking relations.
- Financial Compliance
- Evaluates and advises on the fiscal impact of long range planning, introduction of new programs/strategies and regulatory action.
- Analyzes cash flow, cost controls, expenses and financial statements to pinpoint potential areas of improvement.
- Works closely with investment advisors to provide executive management and board committees with advice on management of the investment portfolio and takes all Board approved actions regarding the portfolio.
- Coordinate compliance with local, state, and federal regulations associated to financial reporting for internal and external purposes.
- Oversees the Garden’s risk management including general liability and related insurance coverage and risk mitigation.
- Creates and enhances internal control systems to support financial audits.
- Campaign, capital and grant projects
- Works closely with Advancement in developing and maintaining grant budgets, cost review analysis and reporting.
- Takes hands-on position in maintaining a comprehensive grants management system.
- Collaborates with Advancement for audits or financial reviews required by government and foundation grants.
- Works closely with Project Manager to provide financial oversight of garden expansion projects, budgets and capital improvements.
- Maintains close partnership with Advancement Team to maximize success of all campaigns.
- Maintain professional privacy and confidentiality.
- Works collaboratively with other public garden and museum financial professionals.
- Weekend, evening and holiday hours as needed.
Skills and Abilities
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including public speaking and ability to make financial presentation to staff, committees, boards and organizations.
- Excellent interpersonal, negotiation, and conflict resolution skills.
- Strong problem solving and creative thinking skills and the ability to exercise sound judgement and make decisions based on accurate and timely analyses.
- Well-organized and detail-oriented, able to work independently as well as in a team environment
- High level of integrity and dependability with strong sense of urgency and results orientation.