Job Listing: Associate Exhibition Manager
INTERNATIONAL ARTS & ARTISTS (IA&A) - WASHINGTON, DC
Associate Exhibition Manager
- Are you self-starter and a people person?
- Do you have experience in curatorial work, arts administration, museum development, membership sales, or other front-line art museum positions? - Do you have your finger on the pulse of current art museum tends?
- Are you passionate about making world class art exhibitions available to museums of all sizes?
If so, then International Arts and Artists (IA&A) may be just the right organization for you. IA&A’s Traveling Exhibition Service is seeking an experienced and motivated individual to join its team as Associate Exhibition Manager. This is a full time position with an annual salary of $35,000/year. Benefits include health insurance, paid vacation & sick leave.
Review of applications will begin immediately.
* Manages a portfolio of 5 to 7 traveling fine art/museum exhibitions.
* Analyzes the museum and gallery market, both domestic and internationally, for venues with exhibition needs that match the portfolio of exhibitions
* Targets marketing efforts on venues likely to contract with the IA&A for the exhibition.
* Provides timely, accurate and insightful information to venues on the availability, pricing, contract terms, exhibition shipping, and exhibition content.
* Works with venue contacts to expeditiously book and finalize contractual agreements.
* Maximizes exhibition success by keeping the periods between exhibition bookings to a minimum.
* For each assigned exhibition, serves as the main point of contact for the organizing institution or independent curator and lender.
* Leads development of specific and detailed print and digital promotional materials for each exhibition in collaboration with the internal design team. These materials include: general exhibition theme description, exhibition specifications, artist biographies, curator biographies, other descriptive material, and representative images. Understands image copyright restrictions.
* Ensures the timely development of exhibition content, including panel and label text and educational resource material, working in conjunction with any outside curators, lenders, or other professionals with assistance from the department’s communications coordinator and the internal design team.
* Responsible for managing the budget of each exhibition. Understands all budgetary items, works with IA&A registrars and other personnel to manage costs. Initiates in a timely manner the payment of fees to curators, lenders, writers, advisers, image rights holders, etc.
* Supports departmental work in identifying potential new traveling exhibitions through museum professional and lender contacts; passes any leads for new projects on to appropriate department personnel.
* Minimum of 2 years work experience in a visual arts organization preferably a museum or art gallery.
* Undergraduate degree, master’s degree preferred, in Art History or museum studies
* Basic understanding of contracts, particularly lease arrangements
* Excellent understanding of contract negotiation and the ability to close expeditiously
* Excellent writing skills and attention to detail
* Proficient in use of computers and other office equipment
* Ability to work cooperatively in a team setting
* Successful experience managing multiple projects simultaneously
* Demonstrated success at meeting deadlines and achieving performance goals
* Forward thinking, enthusiastic, and outgoing
* Success at exercising initiative and problem-solving
* Experience working in an office environment. Some sales experience a plus
To apply, email a statement of interest, and resume to email@example.com