Job Listing: Associate Director of Communications & Marketing
Nauticus, Norfolk, VA
Open until filled
Associate Director of Communications & Marketing
Nauticus is a maritime-themed museum located on the scenic Elizabeth River waterfront in the heart of downtown Norfolk, Virginia. In addition to the museum, the Nauticus campus includes the historic Battleship Wisconsin, Sail Nauticus Sailing Center, the Decker Half Moone Center, and the schooner Virginia. We offer a business-casual environment with competitive wages and benefits.
About the Position – Associate Director of Communications & Marketing
Reporting to the Marketing Director, this position provides creative, engaging and effective communications and marketing concepts to grow Nauticus’ museum attendance, overall visitation, and public recognition. The position will be responsible for developing and implementing advertising strategies as well as creating newsletters, annual reports, and email campaigns. The position will actively seek to develop relationships with media representatives and proactively seek high-level placements in print, broadcast and online media by developing a comprehensive media relations strategy including the writing of creative and engaging news releases.
Key responsibilities include:
- Manage two full-time staff members ensuring unified marketing approach within the department
- Work across departments (Sail Nauticus, Overnight Groups, Event Rentals, Schooner Virginia, USS Wisconsin) to engage different audiences, promote public programs and develop a comprehensive “brand” for Nauticus
- In consultation with the Marketing Director, develop and implement an integrated, multi-channel marketing plan that aligns with the museum’s strategic direction
- Conduct data analyses (e.g. return on investment of marketing initiatives, web analytics) to maximize media investment
- Segment target audience and develop a deep understanding of each segment to maximize engagement
- Serve as primary museum spokesperson in both broadcast and print media interviews
About the ideal candidate:
This position represents a unique growth opportunity to make a difference in a one-of-a-kind organization. It also provides an opportunity for the candidate to impact the future of Nauticus.
The ideal candidate will have:
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing, communications or a related field
- At least 7 years of relevant experience, including supervisory experience.
- Ability to think creatively, outstanding presentation skills, and an eye for aesthetic design
- Ability to make practical decisions based on effectively analyzing and interpreting relevant data
- Proficiency with digital marketing strategies including social media platforms
- Working knowledge of graphic design programs such as Adobe Acrobat or Canva
- Excellent writing, communications, and interpersonal skills
- Outstanding organizational and event planning abilities
- Keen understanding of public relations strategies and messaging
Competitive salary based on experience and skills. Benefits include health, vision, dental insurance, IRA plan, paid time off, holidays.
This position is available immediately and will remain open until filled. Please send a cover letter, resume, and writing samples to email@example.com