Job Listing: Assistant Preparator/Art Handler/Technician
Taubman Museum of Art - Roanoke, VA
Closes - Open until filled.
Position Title – Assistant Preparator/Art Handler/Technician
Salary - To be determined.
Job Type - Part-Time
For more info and to apply, click here.
Taubman Museum of Art is part of the lively metro mountain mix of arts, culture and outdoor fun. Surrounded by the Blue Ridge Mountains and located in the heart of downtown Roanoke, VA. The Taubman Museum of Art is accredited by the American Alliance of Museums, which recognizes the Museum's commitment to excellence, accountability, high professional standards and continued institutional improvement.
Assist Preparator and Installations Designer with museum-quality art handling related to the display, maintenance and long-term care of the Museum’s collection and implementation of the Museum’s active schedule of exhibitions and programs.Responsible for assisting museum staff with fine art handling, storage, packing, transportation, installations, and all related preparation for the collection and exhibition objects. Produce and install gallery labels. Support mission and vision of Museum throughout performance of duties.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities: (other duties may be assigned)
- Work in conjunction with curators to produce gallery and exhibition design materials as requested.
- Assist registrar with documentation, organizing and locating objects, annual inventories, and other projects as assigned.
- Format and produce didactic labels for collection and exhibition objects.
- Careful attention to safety, detail, and accuracy.
- Packing/unpacking, handling, and hanging or installing artwork.
- Oversees & participates in the safe movement and handling of all collections and exhibition objects in accordance with best practices and industry standards.
- Assists with organization of storage locations, preparation of housing for collections objects in storage and for transportation purposes to and from the museum and between offsite locations.
- Loading and unloading art efficiently ensuring the safe movement of all artworks, crates, and exhibition objects.
- Movement, care and placement of pedestals and vitrines used in installations.
- Collaboration with Registrar maintains inventory, movement, and storage of all exhibition-related items.
- Production and installs of Gallery didactic labels, text panels, and various exhibition signage.
- Observes and reports, when necessary, on the condition of elements within the museum, including temperature, humidity, and the security of the works of art.
- Assists with location tracking and documentation of art movement, updating museum collection database as needed.
- Maintains gallery lighting, lighting storage, and supplies.
- Responsible for digital media / video in museum exhibitions.
- Assists Preparator and Installations Designer with a budget and submitting purchase. orders
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Practical knowledge of professional art-handling standards and procedures
- Art installation procedures, techniques and methods and materials
- Understanding of professional object description and condition reporting terminology
- Experience with collections management databases, particularly Rediscovery’s Proficio Software
- Excellent computer skills with proficiencies in the use of spreadsheets, word processing and Windows-based graphics applications such as Sketchup Pro, Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator and InDesign
- Logistical planning skills, especially concerning object movement and shipment
- Ability to work with other people in a cordial and effective manner
- Ability to work effectively with all units and levels of the organization
- Ability to function well with internal and external customers
- Capacity to pay attention to detail and accuracy
- Must be able to physically move artwork (big/small/heavy/light) and crates; pack, unpack and crate artwork; install artwork; climb ladders and be carried up to 80 feet on lifts
Training, Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in museum studies and/or art history, and a minimum of five years’ experience working in an art museum setting
- A minimum of 2 years of art handling, hands-on experience in an art museum setting
- Must possess and maintain a valid Virginia driver's license and maintain a driving record acceptable to the Taubman Museum of Art and its insurance carrier(s).
- Must be available to work flexible hours including nights and weekends as needed.
- May require travel out of town on an occasional basis.
Physical Demands and Work Environment:
Must be able to stand, walk, and sit; ability to use hands and/or fingers, reaching with hands and arms; must be able to talk and hear; ability to occasionally climb or balance and stoop, kneel, crouch and crawl as required; must have the ability to lift up to 50 pounds as needed; must be able to see up close and have distance vision and have the ability to focus; must be able to work in a moderate noise level office environment. Climbing ladders and being lifted in boom lifts during installations up to 90 feet in the air is a must. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
The Taubman Museum of Art is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class. The Taubman Museum of Art is also committed to comply with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.
Taubman Museum of Art is committed to creating a diverse environment
At The Taubman Museum of Art we each contribute to inclusion—we all have a role to play. Our culture is the result of our behaviors, our personal commitment, our curiosity, how we collaborate, and the ways that we courageously share our perspectives and encourage others to do the same.
In turn, our inclusive culture inspires us to try new things and share information openly and transparently. It brings us together in ways that help us stand out. Our inclusive culture empowers all of us to connect, belong, and grow.
Job Type: Part-time
- Dental insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Employee discount
- Retirement plan
- Vision insurance
- 8 hour shift
- Monday to Friday