Job Listing: Assistant Museum Preparator
University of Richmond - Richmond, VA
Closes - Open until filled.
Position Title – Assistant Museum Preparator
Salary - $18.24-$24.17/Hour
Job Type - Part-Time
To learn more and apply, click here.
As Assistant Museum Preparator, this person will report to and assist the lead Museum Preparator with the proper care, maintenance, handling, and exhibition of works of art, natural science objects, and artifacts, which comprise the collections of the University Museums. This position will also assist with preparing, installing, and de-installing a full schedule of changing exhibitions in various venues on campus using objects from the museums’ collections and objects loaned by other institutions or individuals.
- Assist the lead Museum Preparator with technical and physical aspects of exhibit installation, planning exhibition layouts; assist with design and fabrication of casework and object display mounts; mat and frame works of art as needed. Handle and move art objects and exhibition casework; assist with proper lighting of exhibited objects; fabrication and installation of exhibition signage and object labels. Assist in monitoring several galleries and storage spaces on campus where collection objects are housed, ensuring objects are safe and properly displayed or stored. Assist in setting and maintaining proper level of light; and in reporting changes in the condition of objects.
- Assist the lead Museum Preparator in making possible the safe and timely transport of exhibition objects, loans, and gifts to the collections; assist with packing and preparing objects of value and delicacy for safe travel. Assist in crating and uncrating objects; as needed, assist with condition reporting of each object before and after exhibition. Assist with programs presented by University Museums. Often involved with tech needs for exhibitions and programs.
- Provide support for student and faculty work installation and projects in the departmental spaces, on campus and for select projects off-campus.
- Offer on-going, scheduled, introductory training to students to mat and frame artworks, collections care, and gallery preparation.
- Ability to multi-task, problem solve.
- Familiarity with carpentry, plastering, painting, matting and framing of art work, exhibition casework moving, ladder climbing, lighting, and basic computer graphic design.
- Understanding of best museum practices, an appreciation for the stewardship of the objects in our care and the concept of preservation in general.
- Excellent communication skills.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s degree and at least 1-2 years of art preparator experience, or 3-4 years of art preparator experience, or any combination of education and experience.
- Knowledge of museum best practices, an appreciation for the stewardship, safety and care, and preservation of fine art.
- Part-time, non-exempt position
- Exact schedule to be determined, works up to 999 hours per year
Pay Grade 5 (Hiring Range $18.24 to $24.17 per hour)
At the University of Richmond, we’re creative, inclusive, and determined. We’re Spiders, and our mission is to create positive change in the UR community and beyond.