Job Listing: Assistant Director of Finance and Administration
Library of Virginia Foundation - Richmond, VA
Closes - Open until filled.
Position Title – Assistant Director of Finance and Administration
Salary - $55,000-$65,000+, commensurate with experience.
Job Type - Full-Time
Established in 1984, the Library of Virginia Foundation supports the Library of Virginia and its work
by raising public and private financial support, managing its endowment, hosting events, and
helping to create programming that brings Virginia’s history and culture to life. The Library of
Virginia, founded in 1823, houses the most comprehensive collection of materials on Virginia
government, history, and culture in the world. Its vision: to inspire learning, ignite imagination,
create possibilities, encourage understanding, and engage Virginia's past to empower its future.
The Library of Virginia Foundation is seeking a qualified individual to oversee its financial and
administrative efforts. The Assistant Director of Finance and Administration will partner with the
Executive Director to manage the Foundation’s assets, investments and administrative activities
including accounting, human resources and operational activities. Experience in bookkeeping and
accounting is required. The Assistant Director of Finance and Administration must work well with
Library and Foundation staff, board members, and volunteers.
Core duties and responsibilities:
Provide oversight, monitoring and reporting of financial and business planning activities including:
- Develop operating budgets, as well as restricted fund planning and tracking mechanisms with
the Executive Director and other key staff.
- Maintain strong financial oversight including forecasting and stewardship of fundraised
revenue, retail activities, and all related expenses. Implement and enforce internal control
processes and accounting policies.
- Provide financial reports as well as cash flow, cost and activity analysis as needed for the
Finance Committee, Board of Directors, and Executive Leadership.
- Work with Foundation fundraising staff and Library program and finance staff to maintain
ongoing compliance with grants and related obligations.
- Manage accounting functions such as, but not limited to; general ledger entries, accounts
payable, bank reconciliations, deposits, payroll, tax returns, annual audit and retail sales
- Regularly review financial procedures, processes and systems, and revise as needed to
improve efficiency and usefulness for internal and external stakeholders.
- Serve as staff liaison to Finance Committee and coordinate meetings, minutes, and reporting.
Manage and oversee Human Resources and Administrative activities including:
- Manage the bi-monthly payroll process to ensure accuracy, funding and compliance with laws
- Oversee recruitment of new employees, orientation and staff development.
- Manage benefits administration and outside vendors.
- Perform general office support functions.
- Maintain HR records and provide reports and analysis as needed.
- A bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university, or an equivalent combination of
education, training, and experience.
- Considerable experience in non-profit finance or business administration.
- Experience with databases including QuickBooks, Bloomerang, Square and/or similar software.
- Base knowledge of state and Federal laws, regulations, and guidelines related to recruitment
- Knowledge of benefits administration.
- Ability to perform job in accordance with the organization’s policies & procedures.
- Proven ability to collaborate and provide financial guidance leading to effective results.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office programs and financial accounting software.
- Ability to communicate and present effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to manage multiple projects and strong attention to detail skills are required.
- Must be a team player and able to adapt to change and demonstrate flexibility.
- Must possess strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work with diverse individuals to foster
- Must possess good organizational, time management, and strong analytical skills to organize
and coordinate a varied workload.
- A bachelor’s degree in the field of accounting, finance, or business administration.
- Experience with non-profit accounting and knowledge of FASB accounting principles strongly
To be successful in this position, in addition to the qualifications listed, you will need to value
working in an organization that fosters a diverse, open, inclusive, team-oriented work
environment. All qualified applicants are afforded equal opportunities without regard to race,
sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, veteran status,
political affiliation, genetics, or disability (except where physical requirements are a bona fide
occupational qualification). Minorities, individuals with disabilities, veterans, and people with
National Service experience are encouraged to apply.
Salary range: $55k - $65k+, commensurate with experience.
To apply: please send cover letter, resume and three professional references to
firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls please. Position open until filled.