Job Listing: Archives Intern
VIRGINIA MUSEUM OF FINE ARTS - RICHMOND, VA
Closes: November 5
The Virginia Museum of Fine Arts (VMFA) is excited to announce its first paid internship in the Margaret R. and Robert M. Freeman Library. The position of Archives Intern will be responsible for:
- Migrating content from legacy finding aids to ArchivesSpace;
- Reviewing and updating the internal ArchivesSpace user manual for description at varying levels (collection, file, item, etc.) in accordance with the Museum’s metadata standards; and
- Researching how archival repositories utilize ArchivesSpace to perform collection inventories.
The successful candidate shall have:
- Demonstrated experience in organizing and cataloging large archival collections in a library or archives environment;
- Possess knowledge of professional archival standards, principles, concepts, and practice, and understanding of and ability to apply descriptive metadata standards (DACS, EAD, AAT, etc.);
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications;
- Strong organizational and communication skills; and
- Ability to work independently and prioritize tasks with little onsite supervision.
An American Library Association (ALA) accredited Master’s Degree in Library and Information Science or equivalent education and/or training are strongly preferred.
Please note that this is a time limited position for four months at approximately ten hours per week.
Selected candidate must pass a criminal history background check.
This position is open to the general public. Interested candidates need to apply through the Commonwealth of Virginia job website, which can be accessed via https://www.vmfa.museum/jobs. On-line applications will be accepted until 11:59 PM on Tuesday, November 5, 2019.
Please contact the HR Office at (804) 340-1485, if assistance is needed.