Job Listing: Museum Historical Interpreter
Jamestown-Yorktown Foundation - Williamsburg, VA
Closes - Open until filled
Position Title – Museum Historical Interpreter
Salary - $27,004/annually with state benefits
Job Type - Full-time
For more info and to apply, click here.
The Jamestown-Yorktown Foundation is seeking qualified individuals to engage audiences through costumed interpretation, conversation, and historic craft and skill demonstrations. This position will facilitate experiences that explore the culture, events and concerns of 17th-century English colonists, Africans and Virginia Indians for general museum visitors and school groups. This is a full-time position reporting to an Interpretive Site Supervisor and requires weekend and holiday work.
- A demonstrated ability to learn historical content and methodologies for visitor interactions
- Enthusiasm and skill for engaging with a wide range of audiences
- Ability to demonstrate and foster empathy amongst colleagues and visitors
- Demonstrated experience working effectively as part of a team
- Effective speaking, presentation, and active listening skills
- Ability to work effectively and respectfully with people of diverse cultures, ages, and economic backgrounds
- Demonstrated positive approach to problem solving, new tasks, and collaborating with others
- This unique position also requires the ability to climb in the rigging and work aloft on the ships.
Candidates will be provided and wear reproduction period clothing while interacting with visitors in a wide range of climate conditions. Ability to work outdoors in all weather, with extensive standing, walking, and heavy-lifting. Weekend and holiday work required, including Sundays.
Additional knowledge and skills desired:
- Coaching, leading, and mentoring skills.
- Ability to assume leadership position if needed.
- Degree in history, education, communication, or museum studies or equivalent experience.
Please submit an application either on-line at https:virginiajobs.peopleadmin.com/ or by contacting Human Resources for additional application options. Applications will be accepted until position is filled. Applicants will only be screened based on what is presented in the Commonwealth of Virginia employment application and related documents. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunities for all persons and applicants, without regard to age, color, disability, gender, national origin, political affiliation, genetic information, race, religion, sexual orientation, sex (including pregnancy) or veteran status. JYF encourages and invites minorities, women, individuals with disabilities and veterans to apply.