Job Listing: Lucy Burns Museum Director
Workhouse Arts Foundation, Inc. Lucy Burns Museum - Lorton, VA
Closes - Open until filled
Position Title – Lucy Burns Museum Director
Salary - $50,000-$60,000/annually
Job Type - Full-time
Under the supervision of the WAF Executive Director, the Lucy Burns Museum Director will serve as the leader and spokesperson for the museum. They will act as the museum administrator and curator. Working closely with other programs on the WAF campus, they will provide a comprehensive array of relevant events, lectures, museum tours, and exhibits to engage the community and add to the vibrancy of the WAF campus. The Lucy Burns Museum Director will have a clear understanding of the mission of the museum and WAF. Together with a broad understanding of the history and information presented at the museum as well as current museum best practices and policies, they will create and grow interesting and engaging experiences for the public at the Lucy Burns Museum. The Museum Director will be the staff representative to the Museum and History Committee of the WAF Board of Directors.
The position is full-time and requires 40 hours per week. Located in Lorton, VA, the WAF is a non-profit dedicated to providing outstanding visual and performing arts, arts education, history programs and the Lucy Burns Museum, all in a unique historic setting. Please see www.workhousearts.org to learn more about our exciting organization.
Please provide a cover letter and resume, if interested to email@example.com. A detailed job description is available upon request.
- Planning and Program Development
- Curating and Exhibitions
- Administration and Operations
- Staff, Intern, and Volunteer Management and Supervision
- Passion and interest for museum management.
- Knowledge, skills and experience to manage and operate a professional, high caliber museum.
- Values and demonstrates honesty and integrity, based on strong ethical principles.
- Supports the WAF’s goals and values.
- Exhibits strong interpersonal and teamwork skills.
- Speaks and writes clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations.
- Computer application competency with MS Outlook, Excel and Work, Adobe, and basic understanding of CAD applications.
- Operates and manages within approved budget.
- Displays original thinking and creativity.
- Adapts to changes in the work environment, manages competing demand, changes approach or method to best fit the situation, able to deal with multiple assignment with deadlines.
- Ability to lift 30 pounds.
- Ability to work independently.
Experience and Education Requirements:
- Experience working in a museum or other relevant setting.
- Participation in the creation and/or maintenance of museum exhibitions.
- Bachelor’s degree required; a Master of Museum Studies degree or related degree is preferred. Relevant job experiences may be considered in lieu of advanced degree.
- Minimum of three (3) years of museum or relevant experience is required, five (5) years is preferred.
- Work hours are a function of work and support requirements. Generally, Monday – Friday with hours agreed, e.g., 8 AM-5 PM with an hour off for lunch. Occasional evening and weekend hours for WAF sponsored events.