Job Listing: Director of Education and Partnerships
Georgetown Heritage - Washington, DC
Salary: $60,000 - $80,000 depending on experience, plus benefits.
The position is available on February 1 and will remain open until filled. No phone calls please.
The Director of Education and Partnerships is a key member of the leadership team and contributes to the overall growth of Georgetown Heritage and to the implementation of the Georgetown Canal Plan. The ideal candidate is prepared to take on significant responsibility at a small but growing organization and is adept at mediating the needs of multiple internal and external stakeholders. The Director of Education and Partnerships is under the direction of the Executive Director of Georgetown Heritage, and works closely and collaboratively with the entire team to support the shared vision to revitalize, activate, and interpret National Park Service assets in Georgetown. The position has both internal and external facing responsibilities, including program development and management, hiring and supervision of program staff, and administration.
● Setting the vision, strategy, and goals of the Education Department, beginning with the implementation and management of Canal Boat operations in 2021.
● Develop new programs and events, and implement the Interpretive & Education Plan developed in 2018.
● Act as the liaison between Georgetown Heritage and the National Park Service, and be responsible for the development, training and supervision of the interpretive staff.
● Manage day-to-day operations of the visitor center and the canal boat, hiring and overseeing 6-8 part-time staff.
● Work closely with the Executive Director to create and monitor the operating budget for the department.
● Works with the Executive Director and Board to set the vision, strategy and agreements to enhance our relationship with National Park Service (NPS).
● Coordinates partnerships with the NPS and other affiliated groups.
● Develops and manages annual NPS work plan and reporting requirements.
● Coordinates regular check-ins with NPS and C&O Canal National Historical Park staff.
● Ensures compliance with NPS requirements.
● Other duties as assigned, including occasional evening and weekend work.
Advanced degree in museum education, museum studies, public history, or related field. 5 to 7 years of experience is preferred. The candidate must be a team player, have the ability to work independently, be flexible, be comfortable with public speaking, have experience managing staff in a growing start-up nonprofit environment, managing grants/contracts, and have a sense of humor.
How to Apply
Email a letter of intent, resume and three references to:
Or send your application to:
1000 Potomac St, Suite 122
Washington, DC 20007
About Georgetown Heritage
Georgetown Heritage is a community-led nonprofit organization committed to revitalizing Georgetown’s portion of the C&O Canal. As an official partner of the National Park Service, we are engaging local residents, businesses, the Georgetown Business Improvement District, and the DC Government as collaborators and supporters to realize the vision of a restored and vibrant Canal.