Job Listing: Temporary/Seasonal Art Handler
National Sporting Library & Museum, Middleburg, VA
Temporary/Seasonal Art Handler
The Temporary/Seasonal Art Handler assists curatorial and facilities staff to install and deinstall exhibitions, adjust overhead lighting, pack and unpack artwork, and safely transport artwork.
Reports to: Collections Manager
Hours: 40 per week (typically 9 am – 5 pm) / 2-3 weeks per exhibition. Additional and/or other hours may apply. Possible weekend and evening hours.
Safely handle art using best practices and adherence to NSLM standards for (including but not limited to):
- Pick-ups and deliveries: understand how to properly load/unload a truck and keep artwork secure and stable during transport; ensure artwork is stored safely in the NSLM facility.
- Packing/unpacking/crating: using proper archival materials and those appropriate to the medium/surface/condition and fragility of the item
- Installation of objects ranging from paintings and sculptures of all sizes, to mixed media works of all descriptions, in an institutional setting with the ability to select the proper hardware as needed.
- Safely and responsibly drive trucks carrying property of high value.
- Work both individually and as part of a team to accomplish projects.
- Properly follow safety procedures for moving and storing artwork.
- Other projects as assigned.
- Minimum 2 years art handling experience required; preferably in a museum/institution, high-end gallery, or other art-service company.
- Experience driving 12-16 foot box trucks preferred.
- Must be able to lift 50 lbs and climb 10' ladder.
- Understanding and ability to articulate art handling best practices for packing/crating, transportation, shipping, and installation.
- Strong initiative and work ethic with flexibility to respond to and take action in changing circumstances, often under pressure.
- Ability to work in a team format with sensitivity to a variety of personalities or independently with equal productivity.
- Excellent communication and comprehensions skills; able to interpret detailed instructions.
- Working familiarity with basic hand tools, power tools, and equipment.
Submit cover letter, resume, and two reference names with contact information, via email to info@NationalSporting.org