|Virginia Museum Advocacy Day|
RSVP Now to attend on January 12, 2017
Schedule for the day:
9:00 am - 11:00 am Legislative reception (Conference Room 7W, General Assembly Building)
11:00 am - 12:00 pm Recognition in House and Senate chambers
12:00 pm - 1:00 pm Lunch
1:00 pm - 3:00 pm legislative visits
Will you do your part to help make the case for museums?
Advocacy means actively supporting your museum, gallery, historic site, children’s museum, garden, nature or science center. Advocacy brings museum professionals to the table when decisions are being made about funding, regulations, taxes and other public policy issues–all of which affect our institutions every day. Local government, the General Assembly and Congress make decisions that affect our organizations. Let's make sure we're at the table with them!
Still unsure? Here are five reasons why advocating for museums in 2017 is more important than ever:
1. The Institute of Museum and Library Services is up for reauthorization.
2. There is a new administration coming to Washington, so now is an excellent time to introduce yourself and your museum to incoming legislators and their staff members. Remember, decisions made in Washington and in Richmond potentially affect the workings of your museum for years to come.
3. You could win a prize! That’s right. If you attend Virginia Museum Advocacy Day on January 12, 2017 and AAM’s Museums Advocacy Day on February 27–28, 2017, you will be entered into a raffle to win a 2017 AAM Annual Conference registration! AAM's Annual Conference will be held in St. Louis, MO May 7 - 10, 2017.
4. It’s fun. Yes, that’s right. Gathering with your colleagues in the field and working toward a common goal is a great way to network and make new friends while making the case for your museum! Don’t go it alone–join our lively VAM contingent and get support and training while you advocate.
5. If you are a student in the Virginia Certificate in Museum Management program, you can receive one (1) External Relations credit toward your certificate for attending AAM’s Museums Advocacy Day in Washington, D.C.
Join us to advocate in 2017! Remember, you have a right to advocate on behalf of the work you do and the causes you believe in. It’s how our democracy works, and our legislators and elected officials need this information to help them make difficult funding and policy decisions. Help make sure every Virginia congressional and legislative district is represented this year.
2016 Virginia Museum Advocacy Day a Success
Thanks to all who made it so! We couldn't have done it without you! Plan to join us next year, and take a look at our Tips for Talking with Legislators.
Held each year, Virginia Museum Advocacy Day is your opportunity to learn about and practice advocacy in a friendly, non-threatening, and fun environment. Make sure your legislators gain awareness of the hard work being done at your museum and all that it has to offer your community. Remember, if you don't promote awareness, no one else will! Not sure who your legislators are? Look them up here.
VAM would like to welcome the following new member!